Frequently Asked Questions

WWETB Adult Educational Guidance and Information Service.

The Adult Educational Guidance and Information Service offers impartial and confidential information, advice, guidance, and counselling on the educational options that are available to you both within WWETB and with other education providers. The aim of the service is to support you make the right decision about returning to education and training and to help you make those decisions within the context of your wider life.

Waterford City: 051 302287

Waterford County: 058 48228

Wexford: 053 9152067

Our Information Service is open to all.

Online Guidance and Information resources

If you prefer to do your own research, the following pages may be useful:

WWETB Course Finder: Provides information on courses and the supports that are available to you in the Waterford and Wexford area. Visit our Course Finder page.

WWETB Explore: Provides information on finding the right path for you across Adult, Youth and Schools. Visit our Explore page.

WWETB Fields of Learning: Helps you discover an area of learning that might interest you.Visit our Fields of Learning page.

Central Applications Office manages the national application process for entry to third level study.

Applying for a Course in WWETB is simple.

  • You can get in touch with the appropriate contact person detailed in the course information section in the course page of our website. Visit our Course Finder page.
  • You can apply online via the Fetch
  • Or if you are in receipt of a jobseekers payment then your DEASP Intreo Officer will be able to refer you directly.
  • Finally, if you have any difficulties with any of the above routes, please contact the Waterford Wexford Adult Educational Guidance and Information Service.

Can I apply for a Further Education Training Course as a Non-EU Citizen. For information click on the link below.,this%20level%20is%207%20years.


For more assistance and information, you can contact the WWETB Adult Educational Guidance and Information Service

Waterford City:

Waterford County:


In many cases for our full-time courses the training is free. In fact, you may be entitled to a training allowance.

Full-time training courses through Traineeships, Specific Skills Training and Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) are free to all students who are on DEASP Payment. Traineeships and VTOS Schemes allow those who are long-term unemployed to avail of full-time training courses and continue to receive payments by way of a training allowance, in some instances students may also be entitled to travel and meal allowances (some conditions may apply).

Part-time provision through the Back to Education Initiative (BTEI) is free to those in receipt of a Department of Social Protection payment or to a medical card holder or people who have less than an upper-second level education. BTEI is also open to people under Skills to Compete Scheme –

Post Leaving Certificate (PLC)

From September 2022, you do not have to pay a participant application fee. However, Colleges offering PLC courses usually also have a ‘course charge’ to cover such expenses as books, uniforms, student services, professional registration fees and exam fees. The amount varies from college to college. You may be intitled to BTEA or SUSI maintenance grant to cover costs for more information visit

The Youthreach Programme is free to early school leavers or those aged between 16 and 20 years old. A training allowance will be paid to students: €40.00 per week for those aged 16 and 17 and €208 (subject to change) per week for those aged 18 and over. Travel and meal allowances are also available.

Training Services Part-Time Provision (Evening Classes) Students in receipt of a Department of Social Protection payment may be entitled to a fee waiver depending on the type of payment they are receiving. Part-time evening classes may have some associated costs for those who are in employment. For more information, contact Training Services on 051 301500/051 301555


The link below gives a list of various funding available for those returning to full time education: including funding for students with disabilities


If you have a disability and/or specific needs, we have a range of programmes catering for your requirements, in addition other training supports can be provided such as:

  • adaptive technologies, for example screen reading software.
  • suitable furniture, equipment, or devices.
  • adjusting or modifying examinations, for example by allowing extra time or providing a reader or scribe.
  • provision of a reader or interpreter service.

It is important that WWETB know about your needs relating to your disability at the time of course selection/recruitment in order to facilitate a discussion about which programmes are most suitable. It will also assist us in providing any additional training supports that are needed. If your circumstances have changed from the time, you have joined ETB as a learner, please contact the Adult Educational Guidance and Information Service for help and advice.

SUSI grants

Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSIis Ireland’s national awarding authority for further and higher education grants. SUSI offers funding to eligible students in approved full time courses at PLC, undergraduate and postgraduate levels in Ireland and in some cases, to students studying in the UK or EU. All types of students, from school leavers to mature students returning to education can apply for funding.

For information on SUSI grants please click here

Please note that students who are changing course, college and or course level or who are progressing to a new course (this includes add-on courses) will also need to apply online through SUSI.

An applicant receives an automatic response once they make a course application online to inform them that their application has been received and contact will be made in due course.

If you have applied for a course online through Fetch courses but have not yet had a response after the initial automatic response, don’t panic, course recruitment or your course coordinator will make contact with you closer to the scheduled start date of the course.

Course start dates can vary depending on demand and for this reason, WWETB does not issue class timetables in advance. If you require further information, please contact the relevant course co-ordinator for more information.

If you are unable to attend the course for any reason, you must notify your tutor, instructor, or employer on the morning of your absence. Apprentices and Learners on work placement must also notify their tutor or instructor and employer.

Your tutor/instructor/co-ordinator will record details of your absence on the Weekly Summary Attendance Sheet.

What happens if I do not contact my tutor, instructor, or employer?

If you do not contact your tutor, instructor or employer and do not attend training for three consecutive days, it will be assumed that you have left the training course. If this happens your participation on the training course will be reviewed and you may be removed from the course.

Supporting Documentation Required for Paid Absence

We must receive the original copy of a doctor’s certificate within two weeks of the first day of absence due to sickness.

For medical, dental, or optical appointments, you must provide proof of the medical appointment before the appointment. In the case of an emergency, you must provide proof the next working day after an appointment.

Certified Sickness Payments to Learners in Receipt of a WWETB Allowance

Payments are made for certified sickness to learners who are in receipt of a WWETB Training Allowance. The rules governing the payment of allowances for certified sickness are as follows:

  1. a) For learners in receipt of a WWETB Training Allowance that were not in receipt of a disability-related payment from the Department of Social Protection before starting the course, the following rules apply:

Once a valid doctor’s certificate is received within the required time, payments are made for certified sickness absence. However, there are some restrictions. For example:

  • A maximum of six days’ sickness payments can be paid in any rolling three-month period.
  • If a learner is absent through illness for longer than six days, they should contact their local Department of Social Protection Office regarding entitlements to benefits.
  • Apprentices should contact their employer regarding any payments they may be eligible for.
  1. b) For learners who were in receipt of a disability-related payment from the Department of Social Protection before starting the course, the following rules apply.

Once a valid doctor’s certificate is received within the required time, payments are made for certified sickness absence. However, there are some restrictions. For example:

  • A learner with a disability will continue to receive a training allowance for a total of 20 working days certified sick leave in any four-month period.
  • If a learner has a total of 20 days’ sick leave over a four-month period, we will review the situation with the learner.
  • If the learner is unlikely to be able to continue the training course, arrangements will be made between WWETB and the Department of Social Protection to restore the person’s social welfare payment.
  • Further clarification on the above and any other restrictions relating to a learner’s specific circumstances should be discussed with their instructor, tutor, or employer.

The National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) has been designed to allow students to compare and classify qualifications across ten levels ranging from the very initial stages of learning to the most advanced stages.

The NFQ can help you make informed decisions about which level, of course, is appropriate for you and to make it easier for you to explain the qualifications you hold and those for which you are studying. This becomes particularly important when you are considering further learning or entering employment both here in Ireland and abroad. For more information on the National Framework of Qualifications please visit our Course Types and Levels page.

Each learner who commences a course will be required to complete a learner detail form. This is to enable us to register you for the course and allows us to access funding to run our courses. More details on completing the learner detail form can be found in the video below


As different course programmes have different entry requirements, learners may be required to submit proof from other agencies to show they are eligible and meet the entry requirements for the course you are applying for. You course provider will be able to advise you of any additional paperwork which is required for your application.